Music For My Soul

 

Of all the things we've had to learn to live without in 2020, live music has been one that I've missed the most. 
 
Back in January, my girl Brandi Carlile played six sold out shows at Ryman Auditorium - the Mother Church, one of my most favorite places I've ever been to see a show.  I had a few moments of irrational spontaneity and paid way too much money for, not only one, but two shows while she was there. (I promise ... decisions made in these crazy moments always end up being some of my best ideas!)  I drove over after work, enjoyed a lovely meal downtown Nashville, saw an amazing show, stayed in a hotel, and drove back to Knoxville the next morning.  Not once, but twice!  Both shows left me speechless.

I knew at the time it was an incredible privilege to have great seats to two shows at Ryman Auditorium watching my favorite girl... But really, I had no idea that live music would soon be taken away from all of us...  It will forever be one of the best decisions (or two of the best decisions) of my whole life to be irrational and splurge to go see her in January of 2020.

Night number one was January 16th.  
Natalie Hemby was opening for her. I knew very little about Natalie, except that she was in the Highwomen band with Brandi...

She was magical - and I loved her.

Sheryl Crow showed up too, which was pretty fricking cool...  one of the great things about seeing a show in Nashville... you never know who is going to show up.

I couldn't stop smiling all night long. It was perfection.

The second show was on January 21st. I was basically in the front row for this one...  Speechless. 



She did some fun songs this night... "Total Eclipse of the Heart" and "Like a Prayer" were at the top of the list... 


She ended the show singing "Amazing Grace" unplugged... just her voice.  I've rewatched recorded songs from these two nights over and over - and it takes me back every time.  What a gift it was to have this experience twice, especially at the start of what unfolded to be a tragic year for live music.  

A couple months into quarantine, Brandi and her band started doing livestream shows, which have been ridiculously amazing to watch. 
This one was extra special because I got to enjoy it while my boys all hung out in the backyard.

Thank you, Brandi, for keeping this girl's soul filled during this awkward time. I will fly across the world to see you whenever you play again. 💜 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In That Space

Peak 8 and Carter Park

Charlie learns to swim!!!