Bittersweet Summer

 

Few things in my adult life have been more difficult and emotional than making a career/life decision that I knew was no doubt going to crush my kids.

At some point early in 2019, I knew beyond the shadow of a doubt it was time for me to move on from PerfectServe. I started having conversations in the market and putting myself out there. I knew I wasn't going to jump ship unless it was for the right role... right company.. right town... preferably Knoxville...  In the midst of all that, I inherited - or was handed - a data center migration... And 2019 turned into the lowest point and most difficult year in my professional career. 

Anyway... 

I tried for a long time to find a job that didn't require us to move - because I knew it was going to be soul crushing for 3 of my favorite people on the planet.

At some point, early in 2020, the right opportunity showed up... good company, the right role ... the perfect role, really...  the right compensation, the right team...  

only thing.. 

it's in Nashville.  

So after an enormous amount of thought, consideration, contemplation, doubt, excitement, fear, and relief... I accepted the position. And the loves of my life had to slowly accept that we would be moving out of Knoxville, out of Dunbarton Oaks, and to a new home, city, and school in Franklin, TN.

We closed on our new house in May, 2020 - and committed to the kids they could spend the summer in Knoxville... so we spent our time traveling back and forth between Knoxville and Franklin, until we closed on our house in Knoxville at the end of July. 

And the kids spent every single minute possible with the best friends that surrounded them in Dunbarton Oaks. 

Every. Single. Minute.


It honestly was one of the most adorable, heart-warming, yet heart-breaking things to see.  You could just feel the love and friendship between all of them - yet the angst and anticipation of the inevitable change that was about to happen.
I lost many nights of sleep contemplating our decision.
Reconsidering. Rethinking. Beating myself up a bit... feeling selfish and scared... And then just carrying forward and trusting that God led us down this path for a reason... and finding some confidence that happiness and clarity are awaiting us on the other side.


We tried to ease them into the change by spending some time in Franklin... trying to get them, and us, familiar with the area.  Franklin is lovely. Our new home is lovely..  There is plenty of good to be found.  We were hoping everyone would get a glimpse of the good.

We have a creek that runs behind our property.. crawdads, fishing, swimming for Sara...  


Seth and Hannah even joined us a few times on our journey to make this new town our home.
Another significant change that was happening during this time was Hannah had just graduated high school and was about to head off to college... 
It's hard being a kid trying to process so much change... especially when life feels exactly right just as it is.




They really are just the sweetest of friends... 
And I love that their ages range here from 6 years old to 18 years old - and while the relationships vary from person to person, they all do just love each other. They've formed their own little family bond.




In addition to watching our kids process this change and the loss of their every day friends, Richie and I were going through our own sadness knowing we would soon be missing the amazing friends and families that surrounded us in Dunbarton Oaks.

The whole crew wrapped their arms around the boys... and all of us really. Whether they spoke of it much or not, I know they each individually made a choice to show up every single day because they knew the change, and the loss, was imminent. 
Seeing a giant moving truck in your driveway, knowing "today is the day" is a sure way to trigger some tears... I actually have a hard time looking at that picture too long, even today, without feeling a giant lump in my throat.
And here again.. this little crew..  I am a firm believer that friendships like this don't fade fast. The kids have stayed in close touch - they've seen each other a few times, both in Franklin and Knoxville. As soon as they are back together, it's like no time as passed. In my heart, I do believe they will be friends for life... or at least for a very very long time.
And in some ways, the drastic change they had to experience will make them better... wiser... more resilient... more confident. They know now that real friendships can extend beyond neighborhoods, beyond schools, beyond cities. And they also know that they can find joy and happiness beyond the small boundaries of what they know today. You can move forward and grow and experience new phases of life, while always keeping with you the pieces and parts that you love the most from years gone by.
💙💜💛💚
Cheers to new beginnings and the bestest of friends.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In That Space

Peak 8 and Carter Park

Charlie learns to swim!!!